Halloween 2013

While brainstorming 2014's costumes a few days ago, I realized that I never shared pictures of Geth's Perry the Platypus costume from last year. Even more crazy is that it still fits! Sorry, not sorry, little dude. You're going to be an awesome Perry two years in a row.

We love a themed family costume around here, but Miss E wasn't having any of our Phineas and Ferb ideas last year. So the Hubs and Geth were the only two.

Side note: I opted to make things less crazy and not dress up. Then had a last minute change of heart and made myself into a birds' nest. Miss E went as Ariel. She's 2/5 with the princess costumes, counting this years'. (bet you'll never guess who she's dressing up as. Let it go if you can't.)

Here we have Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz and Perry the Platypus, with a beached Ariel. Now that I think about it, we did have a Disney theme going on.

Geth's Perry costume was made from three $4 Target tshirts. I made both the pants and hoodie from scratch, tracing a few garments I had in Geth's drawers for pattern pieces. Or maybe the pants were from an old pattern I had, I can't remember. I do remember drafting them up, though. The pants ended up being far to long in the rise, but that ended up being a blessing, as they now fit Geth perfectly. Last year, I just rolled the waist band down a few times.

Perry's bill and eyes were ironed on, then stitched.

For the tail, I sandwiched a piece of cotton batting between two pieced of orange jersey and quilted them together. It's attached to the pants just under the elastic in the waist.

As my serger is forever on the fritz, I used my old Bernina 800 for all the seams. A small zig zag works really well on knits. Not as professional looking, but I'm not bothered by that. All in all, this was a fun and somewhat easy costume together. Most importantly, it was and is super comfortable for baby to wear. Nothing like a soft knit on that sweet skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment