Oldie, but goodie: Halloweenish 2010

As I am still with out a computer, I figured I'd do a few "oldies but goodies" reposts of previous projects. Enjoy!

So, I succesfully combined these:

To make this:

And surprisingly, it was almost easy. 

Because I wanted the cartoon Queen of Hearts, I had a bit of an issue finding a pattern. I finally decided that S2813 would do the trick, since it had a seam up the front bodice, making it easy to do the black on one side and the red on the other. I didn't, however, notice that the front of the skirt wasn't a traditional one piece that has a seam at the side of the hips. Instead, it has the back pieces wrapping around to the front panel 1/3 of the way in from the sides. So, I decided to make the underskirt the front skirt panel (the black and yellow chevrons, just ziggzaged on) and then cut the back pieces into 4, instead of cutting on the fold and making 2. If that makes any sense.

It was a pretty easy pattern change and for once, I put a zipper in easily. There is something to be said for Simplicity's zipper installation instructions. So much easier than the method I've always used, but not as clean looking as the method on the zipper packaging. It works really well for costumes, though!
I used broadcloth for the entire dress, with a heavy weight pellon for the collar and bodice interfacing. If I make the pattern again, I'll add some boning to the bodice, since it tended to bunch up a bit. Other than that, I wouldn't change much about the pattern.

On another note, I'm almost ready to open the etsy shop, so hopefully it'll be ready by the end of the week. Which would be tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment